Super Bowl weekend is a wasteland at the North American box office. ‘Murica’s attention turns to ONLY pigskin. Umm. Wait. Someone forgot to tell Eastwood and Cooper…
- American Sniper continues to blow away the competition, holding on to the #1 spot with $32M. That total passes Hanna Montana for the best Super Bowl weekend in Box Office history. And that was in her opening weekend! Twerk on THAT, Miley!
- Debuting with $8M is the found footage time travel flick, Project Almanac. Obviously this is no Chronicle. More like an Apollo 18. It DOES look like a movie I’ll see at the Discount Cinema after pounding a couple of miniatures of Crown Royal I snuck in with me.
- Kevin Costner didn’t impress anyone with his racial drama, Black and White. The film limped in with only $6M. Given these numbers I might be seeing this one in the Discount next weekend. This stinker might need a third miniature to get me through, though.
- Paddington continues to hold up, finishing second overall with $8M of his own. This is a great hold for a film that had low expectations for US audiences.
- Interestingly, the Game Of Thrones IMAX event, playing on 205 screens, pulled in $1.5M. For those keeping score, reruns of a TV series people can watch on HBO Go did better than Depp’s Mordecai in only its second weekend. I’m a fan of GoT, but the decent haul of this IMAX event caught me off guard.