We all expected the 7th installment of the Fast and Furiousverse to be big. Not sure ANY of us expected this big.
* Coming in first this week was Furious 7, grossing a WHOPPING $144M. That is the 9th highest opening weekend for a series in its SEVENTH installment. It also made $240m in the international markets. Simply amazing! Let’s take a second to process that. The seventh movie in a CAR CHASE franchise earned $384m since Friday!!!! With a Certified Fresh Rotten Tomatoes rating and the Paul Walker buzz, this film should have legs. I think this moves up a spot or two on the top ten of the year list. Amazing!
* Finishing second with $27.4M was the animated kiddie flick Home in its second weekend. I liked this one as a mediocre kiddie flick; comparing it to Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Ryan hated this one and said it was dreadful; also comparing it to Mr. Peabody and Sherman.
* Number three this week was Get Hard, the Ferrell/Hart comedy in its second frame with $13M. The more I see movies like this, the more I think Sandler was smart to cut a distribution deal with Netflix. I feel no incentive to go see a comedy like this in the theaters. It feels like a waste of time and money. Digital deliver is the future for smaller films like this.
* Pulling in at #4 this week was Cinderella in her 4th week with $10.3M. This has really been a nice hit for Disney, so I think we can expect more live action retellings of the classic Disney catelog other that just Beauty and the Beast. When do you expect to see casting for a live action Snow White?
* Rounding out the top five this week was Divergent’s sequel Insurgent, grossing $10M. This one seems to be doing passably well, but I don’t think anyone will consider splitting the final book into two movies like they did with Hunger Games.