Disaster movie San Andreas and Romcom Aloha opened wide this weekend. Who won the week?
* Coming in first this week was San Andreas, grossing a very healthy $53M. With a manageable $110M production budget, and international appeal, this movie should be a nice hit for the studio.
* Finishing second his week was Pitch Perfect 2 in its third weekend, netting $14.3M. The musical comedy sequel is nearly the $150M domestic mark, making this a massive success for Universal.
* Number three this week with a very sad $13.8M was Tomorrowland in only its second weekend. A 58% drop week over week is no surprise given the reviews and audience polling data. This movie was such a bomb that Disney pulled the plug on Tron 3 and announced that they were greenlighting Star Wars Episode 7 1/2…
* Rounding out the top five this week was Avengers 2 with $10.9M. With Ant-Man weeks away, look for Ryan to lose his bet that AoU will make $10M the week it opens.
* Missing the top five altogether was Cameron Crowe’s new film Aloha. The audiences were clearly not using the definition to mean “hello” as the Bradley Cooper/Emma Stone film opened at $10M. Emma Stone cannot open a movie.