No Pixar films has EVER opened outside the top spot, but Jurassic World has been a force to be reckoned with! Who won the week?
* Coming in first this week was once again Jurassic World, grossing $105m. This movie continues to demolish records, hitting the $400M domestic mark faster than any film EVAH! Chris Pratt is having a moment…
* Finishing second his week was Pixar’s latest offering Inside Out, netting $91M. This is the first Pixar film to NOT open #1, but that’s more timing than performance. Inside Out’s opening is the best non-#1 opener of all-time. This excellent flick will have major legs due to word of mouth.
* Number three this week with $10.5M was Spy in its third weekend. As the only real adult comedy at the theaters, this one seems to be sticking around and earning nice post-debut weekend coin.
* Pulling in at #4 this week was San Andreas with $8.2M. Jurassic World is pushing this one down a bit, but still a nice hit for The Rock.
* Rounding out the top five this week was Dope with $6m. This indie-esque flick opened fairly wide for a summer offering of this kind. Disappointing numbers for such a well reviewed film.