Ooh, Banana! The Minions debuted this week and had the audacious task to dethrone the powerhouse combo of Jurassic World and Inside Out! Who won the week?
* Coming in first this week was Minions, grossing $115.2M in its debut weekend. Minions had the biggest first day opener ever and crushed all but Shrek 3 for the animated opening weekend. Sad, because this was such a mediocre cartoon.
* Finishing second his week was with $18.1 was Jurassic World in its fifth weekend. How impressive is it that a movie in its fifth week nearly pulled a $20M weekend. Ryan must be so thrilled!
* Number three this week Inside Out, netting $17M in its fourth frame despite the HUGE competition from Minions. Inside Out is a huge hit and has now earned $284M domestically. That moves it into the #4 spot all time in the Pixar family; behind only Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, and Up. It should pass Up, but settling ahead of Nemo for #2 is going to be tough.
* Pulling in at #4 this week was Terminator: Genysis with $13.7M; representing only a 50% drop week over week, the disappointment Ryan and Jimmy felt in week one is SLIGHTLY mitigated.
* Finishing outside of the top five was Bradley Cooper’s Self/Less, opening at #8 with $5.4M. Bradley Cooper’s last chance to be a leading man in Hollywood is Deadpool. He hasn’t been able to land a big hit as the above-the-title star.