Minions dominated that week, but two films, Ant-Man and Trainwreck look to make some noise. Who won the week?
Before we get to the box office report, let’s settle a bet! This was the week that Ryan said Avengers: Age of Ultron would still be pulling in north of $10M (Ant-Man’s debut frame). From the Gabbing Geek Bets page:
Bet: That Age of Ultron will make $10 million the weekend Ant-Man comes out (Ryan says yes, Watson says no). Stakes: Coffee.
Mr. Garcia. I’ll take that coffee with two splendas and healthy splash of skim milk. Age of Ultron finished the week grossing a mere $479,000!!!! We now join our regularly scheduled column!
* Coming in first this week was Ant-Man, grossing $58M in its opening weekend. Only the Incredible Hulk, a film that was released 7 years ago before the MCU was REALLY a thing, opened weaker. It was a disappointing film, and it deserved mediocre box office revenue.
* Finishing second his week was with $50.2 was Minions in its second weekend. That’s a 57% decline week over week, which is high but not unexpected given how front loaded this one was. Oddly, it actually ADDED 10 screens to its total count of last week.
* Number three this week was Trainwreck, netting $30.2M in its opening frame. The Amy Schumer flick opened better than expected and I hope it has legs because it was very good. I could see this one sticking around and hitting $100M.
* Pulling in at #4 this week was Inside Out with $11.6M. The latest Disney hit officially pushed past Up for the #3 ranking amongst the Pixar library.
* Rounding out the top five this week was Jurassic Park in its opening weekend with $11.4. JW has now made $611M DOMESTICALLY. That’s only $9M less than Ryan said Star Wars Episode 7 would make this year!