You can either take a Vacation or go on a Mission. Who won the week?
* Coming in first this week was Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, grossing $56M in its opening weekend. This is the second biggest opener for the series behind MI2 which opened in 2000 at $58M. Ghost Protocol might have held the title but it had an odd limited release opener where it made $12M on 400 screens. This is a decent opener, but it is hard to get excited about openers under $80M for big tentpoles.
* Finishing second his week was with $15 was Vacation in its first weekend. The franchise refresh (what happened to reboots?) has earned $21M since opening midweek. With terrible reviews, and an unnecessary premise, look for this one to fade hard.
* Number three this week was Ant-Man, netting $12.7M in its third frame. That’s a 50% w/w drop, bringing the MCU flick’s cume to $132M domestic.
* Pulling in at #4 this week was Minions with $12.2M. At $287M to date domestically, the prequel looks to fall short of both Ryan’s prediction of $400M AND Despicable Me 2’s domestic turn of $368M.
* Rounding out the top five this week was Pixels in its second weekend with $10.4M. That’s a 57% drop from the opening weekend, and quite honestly Sony should be grateful it held that well.
* Outside the top ten, Inside Out grabbed $4.5M to pull within $10M of Finding Nemo, which sits at #2 all time in the Pixar pantheon. Look for Inside Out to take that spot before leaving the cinaplex.