We are in a dead period of the box office season, but there are some new releases out there. Who won the week?
* Finishing first this week was Maze Runner: Scorch Trials with $30.3M in its opening weekend. This is slightly off from the first film, which opened just last year. Given the $61M budget for the second installment (up from $34M for the first), this film will need to do well overseas to get a third film, currently set to begin filming in February, released.
* Coming in second this week was Black Mass grossing $23.4M in its debut weekend. This is a nice opening for Johnny Depp. With decent buzz and a few weeks until the Martian kicks off the Fall movie season, this one could perform against its $53M budget.
* Number three this week was The Visit finishing with $11.4M in the second frame. M.Dawg has a solid hit….especially given the film’s paltry $5M budget!
*Pulling in at #4 this week was The Perfect Guy with $9.6M in its second week. This is a healthy number, but you can tell the #1 last week was a front loaded audience given the film’s 62.8% drop week over week!
* Rounding out the top five this week was Everest in its somewhat limited debut weekend with $7.6M on only 545 screens. The film’s $13,872 per screen average stems from an utter domination of the IMAX market. Much like you needed to see Gravity in 3-D, I am guessing this Jake Gyllenhal adventure flick must be seen on a something other than your old ipod nano.
* Outside the top ten, Watson favorite Emily Blunt got people talking Oscar when Sicario soft opened on only 6 screens and pulled in a massive $390,000! That’s a very healthy $30k per screen. I look forward to that one opening wide just like I’d like to see Emily Blunt…nevermind….this is a family website apparently…