The web of continuity is getting a bit tangled now with the introduction of Spider-Man’s third regular monthly book The Spectacular Spider-Man. After the cut the chronology slowly continues as I wiggle out from under the share volume of Secret Wars. Covered in this update are issues falling between Amazing Spider-Man 163 and Spectacular Spider-Man 10.
There are some spoilers if you’ve missed out on the last 50 years of Spider-Man and are just getting started.
- Amazing Spider-Man 163 (P1-P9) – Spectacular Spider-Man 1 takes place between pages 9 and 10. (I try not to split issues up but will if it is “easy” and makes sense.)
- Spectacular Spider-Man 001 – Direct reference to Amazing Spider-Man 163.
- Marvel Team-Up 052 – Direct reference to Spectacular Spider-Man 1, says the events were “this morning”.
- Amazing Spider-Man 163 (P10-P17)
- Amazing Spider-Man 164 – Immediately after Amazing Spider-Man 163
- Spectacular Spider-Man 002 – Picks up not long after Spidey/Kingpin fight in Amazing Spider-Man 164
- Spectacular Spider-Man 003
- Amazing Spider-Man 165 – References fights with Tarantula and Kraven over in Spectacular Spider-Man
- Amazing Spider-Man 166 – Continues from Amazing Spider-Man 165. Harry and Liz announce engagement.
- Spectacular Spider-Man 004 – Direct reference to and seems to occur not long after Amazing Spider-Man 166.
- Spectacular Spider-Man 005 – Immediately after Spectacular Spider-Man 4
- Amazing Spider-Man 167 – First Dr. Barton Hamilton, Harry’s shrink.
- Amazing Spider-Man 168 – Immediately after Amazing Spider-Man 167.
- Amazing Spider-Man 169 – A small continuity error here as Peter mentions to JJJ about Harry Osborn being the Green Goblin. This is not public knowledge. Harry declared himself as the Green Goblin (and that Peter was Spider-Man) in Amazing Spider-Man 137, but everyone thought he was delusional.
- Amazing Spider-Man 170 – Immediately after Amazing Spider-Man 169.
- Spider-Man Doctor Octopus Negative Exposure 01 – Several chronologies place this here, but I’m not sure exactly why. Peter is not graduated college (which happens in Amazing Spider-Man 185) and working for the Daily Bugle. Seems a bit out of place given modern redesigns of Doctor Octopus and Aunt May.
- Spider-Man Doctor Octopus Negative Exposure 02 – Main character Haight says Peter is a teenager. Peter is hanging out with MJ but Haight mentions a stunning blonde he was with earlier. It is a throwaway comment but almost seems to imply he is talking about Gwen, which can’t be correct.
- Spider-Man Doctor Octopus Negative Exposure 03
- Spider-Man Doctor Octopus Negative Exposure 04
- Spider-Man Doctor Octopus Negative Exposure 05
- Marvel Team-Up Annual 01 – References Nightcrawlers appearance in Amazing Spider-Man 162.
- Marvel Team-Up 053 – Continues from Marvel Team-Up Annual 1
- Marvel Team-Up 054 – Immediately after Marvel Team-Up 53
- Marvel Team-Up 055 – Immediately after Marvel Team-Up 54
- Marvel Two-in-One Annual 02 – This was a bit tough to place chronologically as there was nothing really telling that could be used to determine when it occurred. I originally had it earlier, but Adam Warlock chronologies place this issue after Marvel Team-Up 55. And it makes more sense and reads better here as Warlock “dies” at the end. There is also a blurb on the first page to read Avengers Annual 7 first, but they completely recap that story and it has no Spider-Man appearance so it is very skippable.
- Marvel Team-Up 056
- Spectacular Spider-Man 006 – Direct reference to Amazing Spider-Man 167-169. This is a strange issue. After the first two pages it is a reprint of Marvel Team-Up 3.
- Spectacular Spider-Man 007 – Direct reference to Amazing Spider-Man 169.
- Spectacular Spider-Man 008 – Immediately after Spectacular Spider-Man 008. Flash mentions Harry is seeing a shrink which he learned in Amazing Spider-Man 167.
- Marvel Team-Up 057
- Nova 12
- Amazing Spider-Man 171 – Continues from Nova 12.
- Marvel Team-Up 058
- Marvel Team-Up 059
- Marvel Team-Up 060 – Immediately after Marvel Team-Up 59
- Marvel Team-Up 061 – Continues from Marvel Team-Up 60
- Marvel Team-Up 062 – Immediately after Marvel Team-Up 61
- Spectacular Spider-Man 009
- Spectacular Spider-Man 010 – Immediately after Spectacular Spider-Man 009
Be on the lookout for further updates coming soon. And you will always be able to find the Complete Chronology in it’s permanent home under Big Projects in the menu under the Gabbing Geek banner.
4 thoughts on “Spider-Man Complete Chronology Update 5”
I’ve been looking for something exactly like this. Thanks for doing it! Hope you find the time to finish it eventually – I’m currently working my way through the 90s and am having a hard time.
Glad you find it useful. I hope to finish it eventually but it is slow going as I read each comic as I go along to place them. Plus I got diverted reading way too many Convergence and Secret Wars tie-ins. I’m not looking forward to trying to figure out the 90’s. It’s been going pretty well so far, I’m finishing up the 70’s and my brain is only now starting to melt. Cheers.
Hey. Just want to say thank you for your efforts! I’ve been looking for something like this too.
Thanks. Look for a big update…hopefully soon.