Some stinkers tried to slip into the top spot and were fended off by the mainstays. Who won the week?
* Finishing first this week was The Martian with $15.9M in its fourth weekend. What a show of strength when a film returns to #1 after exiting the top spot. From week 3 to 4 the Scott-Damon classic dropped only 24%.
* Coming in second this week was Goosebumps grossing $15.5M in its second weekend. Goosebumps dropped only 34% which is a clear sign the film will beat out the 2.5x modifier and show some legs.
* Number three this week was Bridge of Spies, finishing with $11.4M in its second weekend. The weak box office of the opening weekend was offset by a mere 26% drop in W2. Very healthy number.
*Pulling in at #4 this week was The Last Witch Hunter with $10.8M in its opening week. This was supposed to be a franchise starter for Vin Diesel, but these numbers will be sending it the the Discount in less than a month.
* Rounding out the top five this week was Hotel Transylvania 2 in its 5th weekend with $9M. The Sandler stinker continues to leverage the deal with the devil crafted to make this movie a success…
* Outside the top ten, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension opened at $8.2M, Rock the Kasbah opened at a paltry $1.5M and in one of the worst large openings (2400 screens!) in history, Jem and the Holograms opened at $1.3M. By comparison, Maze Runner 2 made more on less that half the screens in its sixth week…