Will Smith’s career continues to show signs of wear and tear. His latest flick, a crime caper starring fellow Suicide Squad cast mate Margo Robbie, failed to open to big numbers.
- So the movie Focus opened #1 with $19.1m but that is not a huge number for a Will Smith™ film. It is only Smith’s second #1 film in SIX years! Is The world tired of his shtick???
- Coming in with the Silver medal was Kingsman with $12M. The Mark Millar adaptation only dropped 36%, showing pretty good legs. This one is getting close to the “lets have a meeting to discuss the POSSIBILITY of a sequel…” territory.
- SpongeBob continues to prove it is a viable franchise, earning $11.2M for third. The Nickelodeon property has captured $140M so far domestically.
- Finishing fourth was Fifty Shades of Grey with $11M. The film has now earned $148M domestically and grossed an additional $340M globally.
- The other wide release, The Lazarus Effect, opened fifth with $10M. Doesn’t look like a franchise will launch out of this horror offering.
- McFarland, USA and Duff held up incredibly well (both with a less than 30% drop) to earn ~$7M each.
- American Sniper now has pulled in $330M. Soon it will pass Hunger Games 3 for the top grossing film that opened in 2014.
- In Oscar wrap up news, Birdman pulled in about $2M after winning Best Picture. Not bad for a flick already available on iTunes.